Monday, March 1, 2010

Ahi Tuna w/ Key-Lime Sage Butter


A compound butter is made by incorporating various seasonings into softened whole butter. These butters, also called "beurre compose" [BURR com-poh-ZAY] in French, give flavor and color to small sauces or may even be served as sauces themselves. Just as an example, a slice of parsley butter, or "maitre d'hotel butter", is often placed on a grilled steak or piece of fish just before serving. The butter melts, creating a sauce for the beef or fish.

INGREDIENTS

1/2 lb. Butter
1 tsp. Lime Zest
2 tsp. Lime Juice
1 Tbsp. Sage, minced
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 lb. Tuna

Butter and flavoring ingredients can be combined with a blender, food processor, or mixer. Using plastic wrap, the butter is rolled into a cylinder, chilled and sliced as needed. It's as simple as that!


The zesty citrus from the lime counters the smooth flavor of the butter, while the sage lends a nice aroma to each bite. The craziest butter I ever made was a Pico de Gallo Compound Butter. I actually made salsa and blended it right into the butter.


Rather than blending this butter, I softened it over very very low heat so the herbs could steep. Once it was softened, I incorporated the ingredients with a whisk and allowed it to cool. Once cool, I formed it into a cylinder using the method from above.

I seared the tuna on each side and served it over sticky rice with broccoli. You can let the butter melt from the heat of the fish or help it along by sticking it briefly under the broil setting of your oven.

2 comments:

Rube said...

Oh My! This is by far my favorite. I can't wait to taste this! Should be in all of the restaurants.

Keep 'em coming!

Charisse said...

Your killing me here!! I need to make a visit to the nearest fish monger stat!!